Orlando Magic Blog

Group Blog talking about the NBA 2009 Eastern Conference Champions. Due to the amazing success of the 2009 playoff run comments are now frequently deleted to kill offensive comments, incoherence, or asininity. Comments can no longer be anonymous and require either a Blogger or OpenID account.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

The New Guy

ORLANDO _ Rashard Lewis was the most coveted free agent on the market this summer, but no one was more excited Sunday night than Lewis when the Orlando Magic phoned his camp.

Just as the Magic targeted Lewis as their top target, the 27-year-old small forward also pinpointed Orlando as the team he most wanted to play for.

Lewis and the Magic agreed upon a five-year, $75 million deal late Monday night, a pact that can’t officially be signed until July 11 because of NBA rules. There is a chance, Lewis’ agent Tony Dutt said, that the deal could extend for six years and $85 million if the Magic and Seattle can work out a sign-and-trade deal.

Lewis told FLORIDA TODAY Tuesday afternoon in an exclusive interview that he couldn’t be more excited about his deal with the Magic.

``Orlando was my main focus and No. 1 on my list from day one,’’ Lewis said at Orlando International Airport just before boarding a flight to his hometown of Houston. ``Me and my agent sat down and talked about it after the season and we determined that Orlando would be No. 1, and when they gave me that call on the first (of July) I was just so excited.

``I’m just extremely excited because this seems like the perfect fit. We’ve got a great big man in Dwight Howard and the team is still real young, so we’re only going to get better and better together. If you look at it, if you want to win a championship you have to have that big man, and with Dwight here we can do that.’’

Lewis said he felt an instant chemistry with Howard and point guard Jameer Nelson, Magic players who gave Lewis a tour of the area Sunday and Monday. Dutt and Magic general manager Otis Smith worked most of Monday and into the night to reach a deal.

Said Lewis: ``They made it clear from the start that they really wanted me and that meant a lot. Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson came and picked me up and showed me all around and that was cool. They were great guys and I can already feel that chemistry building between us.’’

Lewis, who turns 28 next month, is a former all-star. He averaged career highs in points (22.4), rebounds (6.6) and assists (2.2) this past season for Seattle. He feels his best years are ahead of him.

``I feel like I’m just now hitting my prime,’’ said Lewis to FLORIDA TODAY. ``I feel like I have the kind of focus and knowledge of the game to keep on improving every part of my game. But my main focus is to win ball games and bring a championship here. If we can still add a more pieces and role players, we should be in perfect position.’’

Lewis said the instability of the Eastern Conference and the chance to get to the NBA Finals easier than in the rugged Western Conference appealed to him. Orlando was 40-42 this past season, getting swept out of the first round of the playoffs by the Detroit Pistons. Those days, Lewis stressed, are over.

``Orlando made the playoffs last year and I see no reason why we shouldn’t just go up from there,’’ he said. ``I could see anybody going to the Finals from the East because it’s so wide open. Cleveland went this year and they’re still a lot of good teams, but a championship chance is right there for a lot of teams.’’

Lewis is most remembered in NBA circles for crying on draft night in 1998 when he was repeatedly passed over and fell into the second round. He said that despite that disappointment the night was still one of the happiest of his life. And now this day compares to it.

``This is one of the most exciting days of my life, next to getting drafted into the NBA,’’ he said. ``I’m just so exited about seeing my future here and being involved with a first-class organization. I can’t wait to get started because I think we can win a championship here someday.’’

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home