Billy D will listen to magic...
Billy said he remains "intrigued" by the idea of coaching in the NBA."I've always been intrigued by the NBA just because it's all basketball," he said, noting the NCAA's restrictions on offseason practice. "That's the one thing that's always been the case for me is I love being in the gym.
Heck, he already has talked to the Memphis Grizzlies.
If the Magic part ways with Brian Hill --- why they'd do that is beyond me after he steered them into the playoffs -- they should at least call Billy's cell.
If they need the number, I've got it. Got it from somebody weeks ago in Kentucky.
The Magic would be foolish not to have Billy on speed dial.
To recap, the pros and cons of a Donovan deal:
1. No one in basketball is hotter and can make a bigger splash for the Magic than Billy D. Not Larry Brown, not Mike Fratello, not even Phil Jackson. Want to freshen the air after this Brian Hill soap opera, well . . . .heeeeeeeeere's Billy!
2. And this might very well be No. 1: Donovan can sew up that nagging arena deal. And if for some unfathomable reason the venues proposal is nixed, the Magic would have no problem finding a new home (try Oklahoma City and the Ford Center) with Dwight and Billy as headliners.
3. If the Magic are complaining about Hill not playing uptempo basketball, they can find that in Billy's playbook.
4. With Dwight Howard, Darko Milicic, Trevor Ariza and JJ Redick, Donovan basically will still have a college team.
5. Donovan lives in Gainesville. The Magic can save on moving expenses, and put the savings toward the new arena.
1. None that I can think of. Please, Magic fans and Brian Hill have suffered long enough. From Brian Schmitz's Basketblog