+/- Stats for Magic
82games.com attempts to track the relative importance of individual players in a team game. This looks at how the team performs on the court with the player, and without.
For example, last year, when Dwight Howard was on the court the team averaged a score of 109.5 to 109.3 (+0.2) per 100 possessions. When off the court, the average score per 100 possessions was 103-108 (-5.1) showing that Howard had an net effect of +5.3 points per 100 possessions and shows he made a big difference in the teams offensive performance when he was on the court of 6.5 points per 100 possessions. Here are the numbers for a few of the key players:
Player, On Court, Off Court, Net
Howard 109.5-109.3, 103.0-108.0, +5.3
Nelson 110.8-109.1, 105.6-108.9, +4.9
Turkoglu 108.7-109.9, 106.6-107.3, -0.5
Battie 108.3-110.4, 107.6-107.2, -2.5
Stevenson 107.5-111.5, 108.8-103.8, -9.0
Milicic 106.3-102.3, 108.3-110.3, +6.0
Arroyo 108.7-105.4, 107.8-109.6, +5.2
Ariza 108.6-103.7, 107.9-109.4, +6.3
Dooling 107.8-105.1, 108.0-110.6, +5.2
Garrity 106.9-110.2, 108.3-108.6, -3.0
A few observations:
1. I can clearly see now why I waited impatiently for the reserves to come in at the end of the season. The new guys definitely were outplaying the other teams on the court.
2. Milicic's effect on defense is 8 points per 100 possessions. Bless those long shot blocking arms.
3. Stevenson's rep for defense does not show up in the numbers. On court Magic give up 111.5 pts/100 possessions. When he is on the bench 103.8. That is a 7.7 point deficit.
4. Battie is less of a defensive deficit at 3.2 extra points when he is on the court.
5. As suspected, Garrity slows down the Magic offense while allowing more points defensively when he is on the court.
I admit I have never been a Stevenson fan, liking Giricek (-3.3) better and wishing Magic had kept Bogans (-1.1) instead of Stevenson. No one should trust these numbers completely for direct comparisons as different players play in certain combinations more frequently than others. But Stevenson was a starter, played 2645 minutes and his team numbers suck and his personal stats 11.0 ppg, 2.9rpg, 2.0apg, 0.71 steals are mediocre for an NBA starting SG.
I like Otis a lot. I wonder what he is going to do with Stevenson?